Cloud's Honor Racing

Cloud's Honor Racing
www.GoodHorse.org

Cloud's Honor Riding

Cloud's Honor Riding
www.LeightonFarm.com

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

First Lesson with Steuart Pittman

I had my first jumping lesson with Steuart Pittman today. I took Birdie and Steuart really read Birdie well. He recognized his anxiety and gave helpful advice on how to better handle it. It was a great lesson over all. However, I need to break this trend of falling off the first time I work with a new person. Yes, I fell off again. It’s terrible, but for some warped reason I am not embarrassed and feel it was a great day.I’ve fallen off more in the last few months than the last 15 years I galloped and broke racehorses. I am athletic enough to get myself in big trouble. The only great thing is I am learning at an incredible rate. I just hope I get enough jumping skills before I break my neck. Birdie is wonderful and I know he is hoping I learn soon because he’s tired of me crashing him.What happened? I’m not sure, except I am not looking at the jump early enough. Part of that is because of the dressage training. I’m not supposed to turn my head, and in jumping I am so the horse knows we’re going to jump that. The other problem is I do a better than decent job of leaving the horse alone, but when he doesn’t want to go, I don’t have the tools to get him to. It’s a skill I need to learn and fast. I felt sorry for Steuart, a new student and she crashes her first lesson.He’s willing to take me on so I label him a brave individual. He really helped me and I will ride better today and every day just from what I learned yesterday. Next week I’ll be taking both Birdie and Her Highness, he said he’s willing to get on her. I can’t wait, it’s going to be fantastic to see him ride her. I’m excited to know his opinion of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment